Sunday, September 12, 2010

Dutch Hole in Xavierville Wall: Van Marley's

I haven't actually seen Despicable Me, YET. I know, loser me.
But it hasn't actually slipped my radar that Boo (from Monsters Inc.) is not the cutest, most adorable kid in the animation block anymore.

It's so fluffyyyyy. I'M GONNA DIEEEE.
I don't actually know what caused Agnes dearest to utter what turned out to be the most adorable phrase known to mankind since September 1.

Although, at some point, I am getting this feeling that her dire cuteness had been to


Van Marley's




And this fluffy thing she is going gaga over, is


Nutella and Praline Sauce Dutchkins



Seriously, THEY WERE SO FLUFFY, I died.
And with Vanilla Ice Cream? Double died, I admit.

See, if it were possible to eat real pillows, this is how I daydream they would taste and feel like.


More popularly known as Dutch Poffertjes, these are soft, spongy pillow-like pancakes, topped with powdered sugar and filled with unique-flavored sauce.
I have to warn you, THEY WERE EXTREMELY ADDICTIVE.
As I write this, I find myself craving for Dutchkins and I know deep within the veins and capillary walls of my heart, I HAVE TO GO BACK AND TRY OUT THE OTHER FLAVORS: Original, Whipped Berry with Cream Cheese, and Whipped Lemon with Cream Cheese.

Maybe it was because of the fact that they were served in bite-sized form, I don't really know.
But 14 pieces of such mini-pancakes (1 serving size), is definitely not enough x_x





Van Marley's is the latest (just opened last July) classy hole-in-the-wall dessert bar along Xavierville Avenue that introduces Poffertjes (Dutchkins) to Filipinos, and satisfies the cravings of Dutch nationals in Manila as well.




I love what they did with their interiors.
However, the place is very small. It could cater to I think only 15 people despite the fact that this place is known to turn into a neighborhood bar during weekend nights.


Aside from Dutchkins, they offer an array of Munchies and Bonbons, of overloading goodness.
And oh, I must not forget to mention: everything here costs below 200 pesos.




Yea, the menu isn't very diversed. But I love how it is focused on showcasing the Dutch culture.



Aside from the Dutchkins, what appealed most to my sister and I were:


Kroket (Breaded deep-fried Chicken + Pork + Beef Meat Ragout) + Mashed Potato + Ranch Dip)

~deliciously unlike any other!


and


White Praline Brownie Pie

~every chocolate lover's wet dream, OOEY GOOEY CHOCOLATE GOODNESS ALL-OVER!!!



for the very reason that THEY WERE ALL EVERY BIT AS GOOD AS THEY LOOKED.


So what are you waiting for? Put on those wooden shoes and walk over to 10-A Xavierville Ave.
Or a much better idea: move in to Holland.

I mean, high-quality food with cheap price tags? I'll be your Dutch-ess anytime.